Although I don’t really need an excuse to eat comfort food, cold weather is the ideal time for it. Grilled cheese sandwiches are a good standby, and this recipe takes the classic kind up a notch, but is still super easy to make. Using the right bread (without too many holes, not too fluffy) and slowly heating the sandwich is key.
Ingredients (for 1 sandwich):
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 3-4 dried figs, sliced (or fig jam)
- Sliced brie cheese
- Sliced Granny Smith apple
- Optional: sprigs of arugula
- Prepare all your ingredients. Slice the figs, cheese and green apple.
- Heat a small pan to medium-high heat and add butter. Butter the outside of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in the pan and layer on your brie cheese, figs and apple slices. Top with the other slice of bread.
- Cook 2-4 minutes, until bread is crisp and golden brown, then flip over. Cook for another 2-4 minutes.
- Remove sandwich from the pan, slice in half, and feast!
About Kelly Duval
Born in Montreal, Kelly is a recent English Literature and Creative Writing graduate. Perpetually dreaming of delicious food, searching for fluffy animals and hoarding notebooks.